2017 Report of the Economic Survey
In This Section
The Economic Survey is a free benefit to AIPLA members. Please login to view it.
The Report of the Economic Survey provides an in-depth report on the annual incomes and related professional characteristics of intellectual property attorneys and patent agents. Conducted every other year, the survey also examines the economic aspects of intellectual property law practice, including individual billing rates and typical charges for representative IP law services
The 2017 version of the Survey is initially broken down by practitioner practice type. Next, the Survey includes the following primary sections:
(1) typical charges for law services,
(2) typical types of fees for law-service charges,
(3) typical costs of litigation, and
(4) characteristics of firms.
The characteristics of firms’ section is further broken down into the following subsections:
(1) number and type of attorneys,
(2) associate starting salary and summer monthly pay,
(3) support staff and services,
(4) billing rates and practices,
(5) liability insurance, and
(6) training and marketing.
New this year: Of notable importance—and included primarily due to their general relevance to the Survey and their unique interest to those tasked with formulating the Survey’s questions—were the following matters:
- Amending the list of choices pertaining to major technical undergraduate degrees;
- Adding a question regarding a year-end cash bonus at places of employment;
percentageof annual corporate IP budgets based upon types of work;
- Including questions regarding practitioners’ familiarity with Global Dossier (i.e., the five-IP offices’ [Europe, Japan, Korea, China, and United States] and five IP industry groups’ initiative to provide patent applicants with a convenient way to view, monitor, and manage intellectual property assets); and
- Adding new information regarding non-U.S.-originated and U.S.-filed, but non-U.S. prosecuted patent applications.
2021 Virtual Data Road Show
September 30, 2021 12:00 AM | 180 minutes of CLEThe 2021 Data Roadshow is a virtual half-day program wholly devoted to all things data with a focus on artificial intelligence and machine learning-enabled technology. The program will include a keynote and a series of panel discussions that seek to address many of the data related challenges companies face on a day-to-day basis, followed by a networking event.
AIPLA 2021 Annual Meeting
October 28 to 30, 2021We look forward to seeing you in-person at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center for our 2021 Annual Meeting, which will bring IP professionals together to network, learn, & grow, among the best and brightest in IP Law.