The AIPLA Giles Sutherland Rich Moot Court Competition is celebrating its 46th year in 2019. Named for a member of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit who was the most distinguished jurist in the field of patent law in the world.
The competition is divided into five regional competitions followed by a national competition among the top two teams from each region.
Information about the 2019 competition, including the updated schedule, problem and rules
- Priority deadline for submission of Notices of Intent to Compete -- Friday, December 14, 2018 (11:00 pm local time)
- All Notices of Intent to Compete must be submitted -- January 18, 2019 (11:00 pm local time)
- Briefs for Regional Rounds must be served -- Monday, February 4, 2019 (11:00 pm local time)
- All Regional Rounds will be held over three days -- Friday, March 22 to Sunday, March 24
- Briefs for teams advancing to the National Rounds must be served -- Friday, March 29, 2019 (11:00 pm local time)
- The National Rounds will be held over three days -- Wednesday, April 10 to Friday, April 12
- 2019 Giles S. Rich Memorial Moot Court Competition Problem
- 2018-2019 Rules
- 2019 Reference Materials
- NOTICE OF INTENT TO PARTICIPATE FORM 2017-2018
- There have been updates to the rules. As such, teams are asked to review the new rules carefully.
The National First Place winners of the AIPLA Giles Sutherland Rich Memorial Award will receive $2,000.
The National Second Place winners will receive $1,000.
The winning team will be recognized at the AIPLA Annual Meeting in Washington, DC each October.