2021 Report of the Economic Survey
In This Section
The bi-ennial Report of the Economic Survey is one of the premier and most sought-after publications of the Association. The Economic Survey’s results are often cited in judicial opinions, analyzed by research firms, and used by law firms. Current AIPLA members can access the Report online - for free! You must log in to access the digital file. When you open the file in PDF, you can display the bookmarks to more easily navigate to the specific information in the Report.
AIPLA 2021 Report of the Economic Survey - Table of Contents
Order a print copy of the Report of the Economic Survey.
The changing landscape of the workplace...
- The overall percentage of people who worked remotely to those likely to work remotely jumped from 42% pre-pandemic to 81% post-pandemic, and there was a significant shift in remote work for practitioners 35 year and younger (86.4%).
- A small number (7.6%) said their billing rates changed during the pandemic, mostly in the solo practitioner space.
- Even with the pandemic, gross median income increased by two percent.
- From the Law Firm perspective, while many are not contemplating closing locations in 2021 or 2022, more than a quarter are considering reducing their office space.
- The median total billings per attorney dropped in 2020, but is still above 2016 levels.
- typical charges for law services,
- typical types of fees for law-service charges,
- typical costs of litigation, and
- characteristics of firms.
- COVID-19 QUESTIONS: Expanded questions regarding remote work (before, during, and after the pandemic) and added questions about closing or reducing office space as well as impact on summer associates’ programs.
- FILING US APPLICATIONS ABROAD: Revised to streamline responses. Individuals were asked to choose one foreign country and answer all questions in that section based on that one foreign country. Also, a question was added for respondents to indicate if there is a surcharge to clients for handling invoices from foreign counsel.
- COVERED BUSINESS METHOD (CBM) REVIEW: Replaced with the category of PGR/IPR.
- NEW QUESTIONS: Billing rate changes for private practitioners, outsourcing services (replacing two previous questions about outsourcing international filing and annuity payments), and percent change in the firm’s revenue for IP legal services from 2019 to 2020.
Note: The online edition of the Report is protected from copying, editing, and printing. We know that members may need specific pages for court filings and we hare happy to provide specific pages for such use upon request. If you are in need of specific tables to submit, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and state the purpose for needing the tables, and the specific tables (page numbers) needed.
CPM Webinar: Preventing Your Worst Tech Nightmare: Protecting Your Firm & Clients from Cybercriminals - The Right Way
December 6, 2022 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM | No CLENo one likes to think about the worst happening, but when it comes to your firm's technology, it's always better to be safe than sorry. That's why we're here to present Preventing Your Worst Tech Nightmare: Protecting Your Firm & Clients from Cybercriminals - The Right Way, a course that will help you protect your business and clients from the perils of cybercrime. This course covers everything from cybersecurity myths that can cripple your business to attorneys' ethical obligations to be technically competent. You'll learn exactly how to secure your practice against cyberattacks, and we'll equip you with the leadership skills you need to create a security-first culture for your firm.
CPM Webinar: The EU Unified Patent Court is opening: To be in or to opt-out?
December 7, 2022 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM | No CLEApril 1st 2023 is the current target date for the EU Unified Patent Court (UPC) to open and begin receiving cases. The UPC will have parallel territorial jurisdiction with national patent courts for all existing European Patents unless the patent owners “opt-out” of UPC jurisdiction. Learn the implications of the new system, how to opt-out, and some considerations in deciding whether to opt-out; and receive strategic tips for handling your European Patent portfolio.
2022 Trade Secret Summit
December 8 to 9, 2022 | Up to 570 Minutes CLEPlease join the AIPLA Trade Secret Committee for the 2022 Trade Secret Summit, which is being held December 8-9, 2022 in Miami, FL. The AIPLA Trade Secret Summit is the leading trade secret conference in the nation, with speakers from across the spectrum of private practitioners, in-house counsel, government, and academia, as well as fantastic networking opportunities.
AIPLA Virtual Water Cooler - December Meetup
December 21, 2022 3:00 PM to 4:00 PMAIPLA’s Committee on the Profession is inviting you to join us around the virtual water cooler for a quick break. Drop in and catch up with colleagues old and new at this informal networking meetup. All are welcome.
AIPLA 2023 Mid-Winter Institute
January 31 to February 3, 2023The 2023 Mid-Winter Institute will look at the IP world through the lens of health, sport, and wellness technology. This lens will highlight ongoing challenges in patents, such as the scope of 35 U.S.C. §101. We will look at the intersection of Patents and Trademarks with case studies in the exercise system. We will review data protections through prisms made of telehealth and sports medicine. We will have all the usual information, but package it with practical perspectives that will help not only our professional world, but also our everyday lives. Rancho Bernardo Inn, San Diego, CA