2022 Trade Secret Summit
In This Section
- 2023 Mid-Winter Institute
- 2022 Annual Meeting
- 2022 Spring Meeting
- Event Calendar
- Online Learning Academy
- On-Demand Stated Meetings
- Library of Meeting Materials
- Live Webinars
- Continuing Legal Education (CLE)
- All Access Pass
- Coronavirus Updates & Resources
- Speaker Bank Application
2022 Trade Secret Summit
December 8 to 9, 2022
Miami, Florida, United States
Up to 570 Minutes CLE
Please join the AIPLA Trade Secret Committee for the 2022 Trade Secret Summit, which is being held December 8-9, 2022 in Miami, FL.
The AIPLA Trade Secret Summit is the leading trade secret conference in the nation, with speakers from across the spectrum of private practitioners, in-house counsel, government, and academia, as well as fantastic networking opportunities. CLE credits will be available and topics this year are expected to include
The extended booking deadline to qualify for the group block rate is NOVEMBER 14th!
Book here: https://book.passkey.com/e/50365406
Registration Rates: See box on the left.
We are pleased to offer discounted rates for in-house corporate practitioners: $199 for AIPLA Members, $399 for Non-members. Corporate In-House Practitioners must register using the Corporate Registration Form (click the form title link).
Draft Agenda - subject to change - See below
Thursday, December 8
• 8-8:30AM – Registration & Breakfast
• 8:30-8:45AM – Introduction
• 8:45-9:45AM – Legislative Update –
- Ben Fink (Berman Fink Van Horn P.C.),
- Jennifer Bullock (Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP),
- Neal Weinrich (Berman Fink Van Horn P.C.)
• 9:45-10:45AM – Best Practices for Trade Secret Identification in Litigation –
- Mark Klapow (Crowell & Moring LLP)
- Mareesa Frederick (Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP),
- Bryan Browning (Whirlpool)
• 10:45-11AM – Break
• 11AM-12:30PM – The Changing Shape of Trade Secret Trials: What You Need to Know to Prepare and Try Today’s Trade Secret Cases -
- John Marsh (Bailey Cavalieri LLC),
- Nicole Galli (ND Galli Law LLC),
- Scott Humphrey (Benesch),
- Michael Biek (DecisionQuest),
- Ann Greely (DecisionQuest)
• 12:30-1:30PM – Lunch (provided)
• 1:30-2:30PM – Arbitration of Noncompete and Trade Secrets Disputes –
- Michael Weil (Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP),
- Cathy Lui (Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP),
- Paven Malhotra (Keker, Van Nest & Peters LLP)
• 2:30-3:30PM – Recent Innovations in Trade Secret Protection Technologies and Forensics –
- Alex Meier (Seyfarth Shaw LLP),
- Lea Dearing (Berman Fink Van Horn P.C.)
- Jim Vaughn (iDiscovery)
• 3:30-4:30PM – Damages in Trade Secret Cases --
- Chris Gerardi (Charles River Associates),
- John Bone (Stout Risius Ross, LLC),
- David Bohrer (Axiom Law)
- Marcus Mintz (Seyfarth Shaw)
Friday, December 9
• 8:30-9:00AM - Breakfast
• 9:00 -10:00AM – Protecting AI-generated Inventions as Trade Secrets –
- Erik Weibust (Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.),
- Dean Pelletier (Pelletier Law, LLC),
- Catherine Tornabene (Aurora)
• 10-10:15AM – Break
• 10:15 - 11:15AM – Criminal and Government Investigations of Trade Secret Theft -
- Eric Ostroff (Meland Budwick P.A.),
- Jim Thompson (Benesch),
- Dan Levy (Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.)
• 11:15AM -12:15 PM – Exploring the Contours of What is a Trade Secret: A deep dive on confidential information vs. trade secrets, employee’s general skill and knowledge vs. an employer’s trade secrets, and their role in the enforcement of restrictive covenants –
- Mindy Morton (Procopio, Cory, Hargreaves & Savitch LLP)
- John Marsh (Bailey Cavalieri LLC)
- Jim Gale (Cozen O’Connor LLP),
- Russell Beck (Beck Reed Riden LLP)
• 12:15-12:30PM – Conclusion
Thank you to all our sponsors!
Also special thanks to our Speaker Dinner Sponsor:Add to:
AIPLA Files Amicus Brief in Jack Daniel’s Properties Inc. v. VIP Products LLC
January 20, 2023Arlington, VA. January 18, 2023 - The American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) filed an amicus brief before the U.S. Supreme Court in Jack Daniel’s Properties Inc. v. VIP Products LLC (No. 22-148) supporting reversal and remand of the Ninth Circuit’s decision below. The case involves VIP’s “humorous” use of trademarks and trade dress owned by Jack Daniel’s in connection with a dog toy product.
AIPLA Advocacy and the USPTO Delaying Fee for Patent Applications Not Filed in DOCX Format
January 9, 2023AIPLA is pleased to report that based, in part, on its continued leadership in intellectual property advocacy, the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has again delayed implementation of fees on patent applicants who do not file applications in a specific electronic filing format. The USPTO is delaying the effective date of this fee until April 3, 2023.
AIPLA Files Brief in Support of None of the Parties in Abitron Austria GmbH v. Hetronic International, Inc.
January 1, 2023Arlington, VA. January 1, 2023 - The American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) filed a merits-stage amicus curiae brief in the U.S. Supreme Court case of Abitron Austria GmbH et al. v. Hetronic Int’l Inc., Case. No. 21-1043.
AIPLA Comments on the Draft Amendment of the Anti-Unfair Competition Law of the People's Republic of China
December 22, 2022Arlington, VA. December 22, 2022 - The American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) submitted comments to China’s State Administration of Market Regulation on the Draft Amendment of the Anti-Unfair Competition Law of the People's Republic of China.
AIPLA Comments on the Draft Revised Chinese Patent Examination Guidelines
December 19, 2022Arlington, VA. December 19, 2022 - The American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) submitted comments to the China National Intellectual Property Administration (CNIPA) on the Draft Revised Chinese Patent Examination Guidelines.