Report from the WIPO 29th Intergovernmental Committee on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Folklore:
I attended the conference at WIPO in Geneva, Switzerland as AIPLA’s representative from February 15-19, 2016. During the conference, attendees focused on the following two issues:
1. Whether there should be a disclosure requirement for the use of genetic resources and/or traditional knowledge; and
2. Whether databases should be set up where patent offices (and possibly applicants) could search for genetic resources and/or traditional knowledge to prevent the erroneous granting of patents.
To read my full report on the conference click here.
Mars 101-International and Interplanetary Considerations for GMOs: Patents, Export control, Biodiversity and Regulation
At AIPLA’s Spring 2016 meeting, the Biotech Committee will join forces with the FDA Committee to present an exciting, interactive CLE presentation on international IP and regulatory considerations for genetically modified organisms (GMOs), including exploring the final frontier of patent eligibility for GMOs on Mars. Experts on patents, export control, biodiversity and regulation will provide their insights into patent eligibility for GMOs, issues relating to FDA regulations for GMOs, and export control and biodiversity, including an update on WIPOs February 2016 meeting of the Intergovernmental Committee on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources. Our experts panelists include Marian T Flattery, Assistant Chief IP Counsel of DuPont Pioneer and DuPont Crop Protection, Professor Kan Wang, from the Department of Agronomy at Iowa State University, and Biotech Committee Chair Debora Plehn-Dujowich. more
● Gideon Eckhouse and Andreas Baltatzis report on Purdue Pharma L.P. et al v. Epic Pharma LLC et al. more
● Courtenay C. Brinkerhoff reports the Proposed USPTO Patent Prosecution Fee Changes more
● On February 25, 2016, we held a Webinar entitled What’s left under 101 after Ariosa en banc denial from 12:30 - 2:00 pm Eastern. On March 10, 2016 we will hold a Webinar entitled Patent Eligibility Around the World: Latin America from 12:30 - 2:00 pm Eastern. more
● Lynn C. Tyler reports on Amgen, Inc. v. AbbVie Biotechnology Ltd., Case Nos. IPR2015-01514 and IPR2015-01517 (PTAB Jan. 14, 2016) more
● Laura W. Smalley reports on Sandoz Petitions the Supreme Court for Review of Federal Circuit Decision in Amgen v. Sandoz Holding that FDA Approval is Required Before Giving 180-Day Notice of Commercial Marketing more
● Judith Roesler reports on Roquette Frères v. Solazyme more